How to apply Marmorino Plaster
How to Apply Marmorino Plaster
Creating a "Marmorino Effect"
The Marmorino Effect surface is smooth with a matte sheen
and cloudy variation of values.
Marmorino is a term used to distinguish a traditional Italian plaster
formula comprised of lime and fine marble dust. Materials with other additives,
like silica sand, do not meet the Italian requirements for Marmorino.
By using this traditional formulation or by using other fine grained lime
based materials with sand additives a Marmorino Effect can be achieved.
The final effect you wish to achieve will determine the material to
Select Finish & Material
1. Substrate Preparation:
- Ensure your substrate is smooth, flat and level.
This step is one of the most important and often overlooked. Any voids
or high areas will cause those blemishes to polish more than the surrounding
- Tape off any trim or adjoining walls not receiving
- Prime the wall with preferably an oil based (low
odor, quick dry) primer or other approved primer. This step isolates
the substrate from the Marmorino finish which will ensure even suction
of the finish material across the surface.
2. Base Coat:
3. Finish Coat:
- Apply first coat of selected material (Marmorino ks
or Marmur Fine
or Marmorino by La Calce Del Brenta)
with a stainless steel trowel using short random strokes. Do not let
your edges dry; apply wet material to wet material. Let this layer
dry about 70%.
- Before the previous coat completely dries, apply a second coat of
selected material with the stainless steel trowel. Increase your troweling
pressure for this coat.
- Before the material dries completely trowel down the material with
a clean and polished Trapezoid Finsh Trowel
stainless steel trowel. This step will close up close up grain and
smooth the surface.
- After one hour of drying, polish out the surface
using a clean stainless steel trowel. Use short random strokes and keep
your trowel edge clean. A smaller trowel will provide more pressure
5. Wax and Sealing:
- If increased gloss or water protection is desired apply a Cera Pase Wax.
- Apply with a clean rag or trowel
- Buff with a rag or buffing wheel.
The featured picture is La Calce Del Brenta Marmorino.