How to: Apply Venetian Plaster
A Best Practice guide to installing Lime based Venetian Plaster.
1. Substrate Preparation:
- Ensure your substrate is smooth, flat and level.
This step is one of the most important and often overlooked. Any voids
or high areas will cause those blemishes to polish more than the surrounding
- Tape off any trim or adjoining walls not receiving
- Prime the wall with preferably an oil based (low odor, quick dry)
primer or other approved primer. This step isolates the substrate
from the Venetian finish and ensures even suction of the finish material
across the surface.
2. Base Coat:
- Apply a recommended base coat, see the Venetian product specs for
details. This usually consists of a Marmorino type plaster applied
with a trowel in a single coat. Some Venetian plasterers will specify
an alternative liquid brush on or roller applied base coat. This base
coat will have a coarse or sanded tooth for the Venetian plaster to
- Let dry and sand lightly with 100 grit paper and block to knock
down any high areas.
3. Venetian Finish Coat:
- Apply first coat of Venetian plaster with a stainless steel trowel
using short random strokes. Do not let your edges dry; apply wet material
to wet material. Let this first coat of Venetian finish dry 70%.
- Apply second coat of Venetian plaster with random strokes keeping
a wet edge.
- While the second coat is still wet apply a third thin finish coat
- Before the final coat dries, polish the finish with the same
Pavan 824 Finish Trowel stainless steel
trowel used in application.
Tip 1: Keep this trowel clean and burr free.
To ensure a scratch free finish, polish the trowels blade with 800 and
1000 grit sandpaper. This is essential even with new factory polished
Tip 2: A smaller trowel will provide more
pressure for polishing.
Tip 3: Have a second person polish the surface while the
finish applicator is still applying the final finish coat.
5. Wax and Sealing:
- If increased gloss or water protection is desired apply a liquid wax.
- Apply with a clean rag.
- Buff with a rag or buffing wheel.
Buy the Kit
Buy now for $49.00
Cebo® Venetian Plaster Kit!
- Base Coat - Marmorino or other approved coating.
- Finish Coat - Venetian Plaster
- Wax - Liquid wax